Craig Tolbert Realty
New Orleans, LA
I completely regret the day that I signed a lease with Craig Tolbert. I rented an Uptown apartment and found out it is full of lead paint after performing a home lead test. The paint is literally peeling and chipping off of windows, doors, walls – everywhere. You can’t open the windows because of the lead dust inside the sill. If you have small children DO NOT rent from Tolbert until getting the apartment tested for lead. They knew I had a baby and still rented the unit to us because they say ”they don’t know of any lead in their units.” HELLO, the building was constructed in the late 1800s, of course it has lead. When we called them to ask about the lead, they said we were prohibited from getting the unit tested. I guess they wanted to wait until our child got lead poisoning to be sure? All they care about is the money, not their tenants.
Also, our oven didn’t work from day 1, and there were two huge holes in our windows – one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. You could stick your fist through these holes and bugs came in all of the time.
The best part might be the sewage gas that was escaping into our apartment from the basement via a huge hole in our bathroom floor. Our entire apartment smelled of gas, which the gas company said was most like from the sewer – GROSS AND HAZARDOUS. The gas technician’s gas detector was beeping like crazy when it was over the hole, indicated a gas leak. Actually, the entire building smells like sewage – our eyes were burning the day we left and we couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
We had to lose our deposit and break our lease so save our baby from a lifetime of problems due to lead exposure, but it is worth it. My advice is to avoid Tolbert’s properties at all costs, or at least take the time to examine (and smell) every inch of the unit before signing the lease. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
VN:R_U [1.9.17_1161]Craig Tolbert Realty,